Tuesday Tip :: Custom Email Address

by

Custom Email Address :: The Photog's Helper

So, I’ve been working and talking with a lot of photographers. And something that makes me cringe just a little is when I see that their email address is something like thebestphotographyever@gmail.com or amazingphotography@yahoo.com or even yourimages@comcast.net.

There is no reason for this! You can have a personalized email address and most likely, it won’t cost you a dime!

To begin with, let’s start with what you need.

1) Your Domain Name
2) Access to Your Hosting Company

That’s it! Of course, this can be more difficult for some and that’s okay. If you don’t have a domain name or hosting for your website (i.e. your blog is at wordpress.com or blogspot) then this can be motivation to get you going! The couple bucks a month will immediately lend you prestige and boost your professionalism which can help you book clients.

It’s super simple, only a few steps!

Now, I use Tiger Tech as my hosting. It’s a small company and they have amazing support and servers, but you can use whomever you want! Host Gator and Go Daddy are two big names, between the two I prefer Host Gator, but again, it is completely up to you. My steps are going to be using Tiger Tech, but I’m including links on how to do this for Host Gator and Go Daddy as well! For Blu Domain, click on this link and scroll down to “How do I set up my E-Mail addresses? “

I log in and there is the option right at the beginning. Talk about super easy!
Then are the options for what you want to do with emails! Set up a new one.
And then we get to choose the fun things! What do you want your email address to be and what do you want the password to be?

Bam! You now have an email address! The next step is to add it to wherever you want to read those emails. There are steps on how to check it on your smart phone, desktop, even have it read through your Gmail account.

So now you don’t have an excuse! But if you are still nervous or are confused even now, contact me! Email me and I can help you out. Heck, the first ten people that ask via email or comment, I’ll even do it for them for free! I want you to be successful, and having a real email address is a great way to start.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

9 Comments on Tuesday Tip :: Custom Email Address

1. Gina
    April 10, 2012 at 2:56 pm (6 years ago)

Awesome post. Thanks for all the great website info and help!

2. Danyel Rogers
    April 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm (6 years ago)

Dear Photohelper,

Don’t hurt me!!!! I know I’m one of those people you cringe at! I blame ignorance at first and then feel like you’ve gone to far to change now.

With that said…..to change who do I contact????

I was hosting with Bludomain & one of their templates for my first website. I switched to WordPress last year, but under the impression I’m still “hosting” with Blu. So who do I contact?

Also with this change comes what the question of what’s the best email option for someone like myself who has such a long “name” and a single business owner.

Admin@danyelrogersphotography.com
    Danyel@danyelRogersPhotography.com
    drp@danyelrogersphotography.com

Seems like a lot. Thoughts? I’ve looked into buying drp but it’s taken.

3. Maike
    April 11, 2012 at 8:54 am (6 years ago)

so I totally agree with you on professionalism, etc of an @yourphotographybusiness.com… BUT, from a photog’s point of view, I LOVE my gmail. I love that I know how it works, that it’s easy, that it can also be used with calendar, and that it is also on my phone. Is there a way to make them work together? I’ve used Blu Domains e-mail stuff before and totally disliked it. Perhaps in the few years since I’ve done that they’ve gotten better. But until then, I’m probably going to just keep using my @gmail. ‘Cause I love me some google products :).

• Kathy
      April 11, 2012 at 5:37 pm (6 years ago)

I completely understand! Google is amazing. There are two different ways to use Google to check emails and navigate.

The first is to set up a Forwarding account from your hosting. After you set it up, you just need to keep it forwarding and then navigate in your Gmail to allow for sending emails from the incoming address which will allow you to send from that custom email address as well.

The second option is to utilize Google Apps: http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

Another great thing from Google!

Either one of these is fantastic to keep the functions of Google along with the professionalism of the custom email address.

4. milsztof
    April 12, 2012 at 1:31 am (6 years ago)

When I see @gmail.com at someone’s professional website I feel sorry for them.

5. Maike
    April 12, 2012 at 9:06 am (6 years ago)

Ha!… excellent. I had no idea this was possible… and okay, after struggling through it for an hour-ish… I have it done! Gracias!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Tuesday Tip :: Custom Email Address